Friday, January 6, 2012

Αναθεώρηση Part 6: Identity . . .


Here’s who I was in 2011:

1. A Knight
Someone I met recently told me I am a knight. On top of my horse, sword and shield, shining armour, crossing the world on a mission. According to this person apparently even my motorcycles are a symbol of my “knight-like” tendencies. 

2. A Nomad
100 plus flights per year, approx. 20-25 countries, more than 50% of my nights in a bed that is not mine, no fixed abodes to speak of, "homes" of a kind in several places and also in none, a wardrobe for all seasons, a suitcase in every corner, empty hangers in the closet . . . yes - I was a nomad.

3. A Leader
I lead people. Some 350 – 400 in my business life. It is my duty and my destiny to lead people. I follow other leaders. It can be very lonely at the front. No-one prepares you for this role. 

4. A Friend
I was a friend to many, as many were friends to me. I went the extra mile for them. Because I wanted to, not because I was obliged. That is friendship.

5. An Idealist
I was an idealist in that I don’t believe that anything exists outside of my mind’s ability to conceive it. I was also an idealist in the sense of holding ideals above other matters. And finally I was an idealist in terms of temperament: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idealist_temperament (NB. I am the “Champion” or ENFP)

6. A Journeyman
Last year I explored and discovered much that was unknown to me and thus brought my future into the present (and quickly into the past). I journeyed through lands, people and most of all through my mind in 2011.

7. A Catalyst
Apparently I helped a few people out in 2011, got their backs, listened to their pain, pushed them to be better, and so on. I am not a savior – people save their own selves – but I was sometimes a helper or a catalyst. I'm glad for that.

8. An Observer
I wrote and I wrote in 2011. On my blog here, and in books, notepads, computers and so on. I wrote essays, poems, memos, sketches, portraits and philosophized endlessly about what I saw in the world and in my self. Writing things down helped me find inspiration, clarity and energy. I was an observer.

9. A Student
I learned people and from people. I learned new ideas, new methods, new perspectives – I watched, I observed, I thought, but I also studied. Formally and informally. I was a student.

10. A Creator
I wrote and recorded a bunch of music last year. I started playing the piano more often – even after my amputation – and worked harder on songwriting and composition focusing on writing more complex and interesting music. I wrote poetry and prose compositions again, penned sketches and scherzos of people and life and I made new things happen. I was a creator.

11. A Destroyer
I destroyed many things and damaged more. Strangled and sabotaged, drowned and overwhelmed, starved and neglected, rejected and terrified, abandoned and abused. Some of the things I destroyed will be reborn. Some of those I damaged will repair. Others will not. I was a destroyer.

2 comments:

Pete Strobl said...

Always enjoy what you have to say Dave.

#3. "It can be very lonely at the front…"

The difference between a bull and a marching band is that, on the bull, the horns are in front and the asshole is in the back.

#10. "focusing on writing more complex and interesting music…"

A guy comes home every day and plays his cello…to his wife's dismay. He plays only one note. He plays it long, he plays it short, he plays it legato, staccato, marcato, pizzicato and any other -ato you can think of…but always the same note…over and over again. New neighbor moves in next door and the wife notices that he also plays cello…but he plays beautiful melodies. Bach, Brahms, you name it, he never repeats himself. The wife says to the guy, "Honey, did you here the new neighbor play his cello?' "Yes, I did." he replied. "Did you notice that he plays so many different notes and hardly ever repeats the same song twice?" she asked. "Well," he answered "don't think less of him. Some people need a little time before they find the right note."

ΞΕΝΟΣ / XENOS said...

Thanks Pete. Wise words - on both counts. I'll try not to join a marching band anytime soon!

Search This Blog